Chowilla – Salt Creek 3 day Loop
|Start Point||Border Cliff Customs House boatr-ramp|
|End Point||Border Cliff Customs House boat-ramp|
|Time||4 Days - Canoeing|
1. Start at Border Cliffs boat ramp (Lat: 33974532 S, Long: 140.958220 E)
2. Paddle upstream to portage point at 399 River miles portage into Hypurna Creek (approx. 75 m) and then paddle down to the junction with Salt Creek. Passing the “Chute” on the LH side approx. total distance = 2.2 kms + 75m portage)
3. Remains of an old footbridge are near the junction.
4. LH into Salt Creek for approx. 3 kms. To the junction with Slaney’s Creek.
5. RH into Slaney’s Creek and paddle approx. 3 kms to the junction with Chowilla Creek and Punkah Creek on the RH side.
6. Turn RH into Punkah Creek and follow this for approx. 17.5 kms. You will pass the old “Scab Inspectors Hut” with graves nearby approx. 2.8 kms from the junction. Lake Litra is behind the Scab Inspectors Hut with the remains of the Old Coach Road passing to the northern end and “Suicide Bridge” also the “Todd Obelisk”.
7. At junction with Salt Creek take LH for approx. 3.5 kms.
8. At the junction take the LH and follow Salt Creek for approx. 7.5 kms. passing Tareena Outstation.
9. At the junction take the RH for approx. 3 kms
10. At the junction with Hyperna Creek continue on the LH approx. 2.2 kms to the Murray River.
11. Take the Murray back to Customs House Boat Ramp at Boader Cliffs approx 20 kms.
This loop may be reversed in times of deminished flow in the Murray
Novice to Intermediate: 3 to 4 days, Overnight lightweight camping required, Camping Permits available at SA Parks and Wildlife Service at www.parks.sa.gov.au
Go to Trails SA website to find information on walking or bike trails in this area.
- Contact us if you have any feedback or information (including trail notes and photos) to contribute to the ongoing development of Trails SA.
Select an activity to view the correlated difficulty rating and estimated time
Hover over a path to view the elevation profile.